Tomatoes Khlii & Potatoes
This is a stew like recipe, good as appetizer or as a main dish.
Ingredients for 6 to 8 people :
- 5kg (11 Ibs) of tomatoes
- 200 g (7 oz) of khlii
- 4 soupspoonfuls of khlii fat 500 g (1 lb 2 oz) of potatoes
- 2 chopped onions
- handful of chopped parsley
- 1 heaped soupspoon ful of paprika chilli to taste
- Wash and peel the tomatoes. Take out the seeds and chop into pieces. (Never put tomatoes through a vegetable sieve.) Put on to cook in a thick-bottomed saucepan without adding any water. Add salt, 2 chopped onions, the dried meat, khlii fat, paprika and the crushed chilli.
- Peel and cut up into small pieces 500g (1 lb 2 oz) of potatoes. Put on one side. When the tomato mixture has been boiling for a few minutes, take out the pieces of khlii and put on one side. Take out a little of the tomato juice and cook the potatoes in it separately adding a very little salt.
- Keep a close watch on the tomatoes, stirring frequently, until all the juice has evaporated and the fat separates from the rest. A sort of tomato purée is produced. Add the chopped parsley and the pieces of khlii which were put on one side and the potatoes which were cooked separately.
- Stir for a few more minutes and remove from the heat. Serve very hot.